Saturday, March 3, 2012

1983 Datsun 280 Z

Up on the proverbial auction block from St. Kitts is this '83 Datsun 280Z. For those who are familiar with the Z, Datsun/Nissan's small sports car, you'll appreciate what this car is not. It is not achingly gorgeous like the original 240Z, nor is it a mechanical and technological tour-de-force like the 300ZX Twin Turbo. It is, in its own semi-endearing way, very 80's. The blocky, awkward styling that is the result of the mutilation of the 240's near-perfect lines makes the car something of a disappointment to look at. Really, all you can do is think of what the 240 looks like, look at this, and say "well, that's a shame," and walk away.

I'll be honest about this one; I wouldn't buy it, and I see no compelling reason why you would either. The only reason I'm posting this is so I can share with you this TV ad, which, I'm sure you'll agree, comprises the best 31 seconds of 80's goodness ever recorded.


The 'stache, man, the 'STACHE! Full ad

EDIT: Breaking (30 years ago) news! I have found yet another sweet-action 80's 280ZX ad. In its own words: AWESOME.


3 comments:

Katzendame said...

HAH!!! I love the Shaft-ese singing in the background, and i esspecially like the part where she strokes the tape player.

Oh 80's, you so crazy.

Danielle Alyse said...

Woah! Morgan Freeman made a Datsun commercial? Now that is awesome.

Jenna Marino said...

Datsun's have a special place in my heart because it's the car that Chris McCandless owned before his journey as a vagabond. I'm disappointed that they aren't as cool as I thought they were. Wicked commercials though.